Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Life......

So every now and then I question, "What is my purpose in life? Who I am supposed to be? What talents and gifts do I have? When will we REALLY be done with school? How can I best use PATIENCE everyday or in times when I really should use it? Will we have more kids? If so, when? Where will we be living in 2-3 years? Will we move out of the state of Idaho? Where will Glen go to gradute school at? What will Glen decide to be? Medical school, is it really in our future? Mechanical Engeering? Is my pourpose in life to just be a mom? (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my kids and wouldn't trade them for the world!) Man even an adult I still have these questions, I mean really shouldn't I know some of these answers. Today Is more of a "personal journal entry, more than anything I guess.... Will I or should I continue school? I feel like I should. You know a few years ago I went to a Relief Society Womens Broadcase and one thing the President Thomas S. Monson said was,"We live in the time spoken of in 2 Nephi, chapter 9: “O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish." “But to be learned is good if they hearken unto the counsels of God.”7 Required is the courage to hold fast to our standards despite the derision of the world. Said President J. Reuben Clark Jr., for many years a member of the First Presidency: “Not unknown are cases where [those] of presumed faith … have felt that, since by affirming their full faith they might call down upon themselves the ridicule of their unbelieving colleagues, they must either modify or explain away their faith or destructively dilute it, or even pretend to cast it away. Such are hypocrites.”8 There comes to mind the powerful verses found in 2 Timothy, in the New Testament, chapter 1, verses 7 and 8: “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. “Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord.” Beyond our study of spiritual matters, secular learning is also essential. Often the future is unknown; therefore, it behooves us to prepare for uncertainties. Statistics reveal that at some time, because of the illness or death of a husband or because of economic necessity, you may find yourself in the role of financial provider. Some of you already occupy that role. I urge you to pursue your education—if you are not already doing so or have not done so—that you might be prepared to provide if circumstances necessitate such. Your talents will expand as you study and learn. You will be able to better assist your families in their learning, and you will have peace of mind in knowing that you have prepared yourself for the eventualities that you may encounter in life. I reiterate:Study diligently." President Thomas S. Monson I remember to this day how I felt when he spoke those words. It was like he was looking straight at me saying, "Kathy make sure you get your EDUCATION!" You know I can honestly say that I strongly feel that I need to get my education to prepare myself for things that may come. Sometimes it is sooooo HARD to do though!! I have my kids and I feel that when I study it's taking time away from them, but it's something that needs to be done. There's a saying that I'm sure you know that says, "Patience is a Virtue." But me and Patience, oh at times it seems so uncertain. Then there are times that I pray I can have Patience and I swear I get tested harder for patience. Like with the way my kids act or Glen trying to decide what he will do for his career. I want him to decide on something that he will enjoy doing; (so that it's not such a heart ache to go to work) and something that will bring in a comfortable income. I want my kids to experience life and enjoy it by doing sports, dance, music, art, being able to go on family vacations etc.... I don't want them to grow up hearing, "Oh sweetie we can't afford that or we don't have money for a vacation." I want them to grow appreciating things, don't get me wrong I don't want spoil my kids rotten. I want for them to learn how to work, respect, appreciate, love, care, and service others. I should know my purpose. I know that I need and feel like I need to stay at home with my kids. There are to many things that happen when mom's or dad's aren't there at home. I need to be there! I guess there are times in our live were we blossom and grow. We learn and experience different things in life that help to shape us to who we are, we should love ourselves, love life. We only get one chance, how will you live? What will you experience? Who lives will you touch? What attitudes will you have? Who will you be kind to and reach out too? May I suggest a few things: DO YOUR BEST..... BE YOUR BEST.......GIVE YOUR BEST!! As you and I do this to our Very Best Efforts will will strengthn ourselves and will touch and change the lifes of many! I guess sometimes we need to reflect on where we are going and what we are doing with our lives. May we live our lives well and bless the lives of those around us! :) Happy Wednesday everyone, make this day a day of change where you make and set goals to make you better!

5 comments:

And all that jazz said...

Kathy, you are such a wonderful woman (and Mom!) and no matter what you decide to do, you will be GREAT at it. I'm so proud of all you & Glen are doing for yourselves and your beautiful family; Love you guys so much!

Jarom & Corinne said...

Thanks for the post, i totally needed that. Find comfort in know you are not alone with all those questions, i am sure everyone feels that way through out there life's at one time or another. Like you said i think just doing our best is all we can do. I also think we have to pray for guidance every day, and the lord will provide, we just have to be willing to hear with an open heart what he wants us to do and be willing to do it. I know its easier said then done. Just know that we love you guys and support you in whatever and wherever the lord takes you in your life. Thank you for always being my best friend and for being such a good example to me of a strong, intelligent beautiful women and mother. LOVE YOU!!!

Mariah said...

Kathy that was great. I totally feel that way about school. I feel like when I study I am taking away learning opportunities from my daughter. Because I can't give her my full attention when I hit the books. I think you and Glen are amazing.... .You guys are so good at everything you do. Sometimes it is just making the decision and going forth with it. The lord lets you know if it is not the right way:) Love ya, and hopefully see ya soon!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I think we all have these days. At times things seem so uncertain. I like to go to my P-Blessing and just remember that HF loves me and to remember all that I have already come through. When other times have seemed so uncertain, I have still made it through. Good luck to you both, you have a wonderful family. We would like to visit you the next time we're in town, maybe T-Giving? Will you be in Boise?

Purnell Family said...

Thanks Ladies! I appreciate your comments... I guess sometime we all have these kinds of questions...hahaha... I glad I'm not alone ;) Love you all!